Daphna Heller

Join the Lab

Participant running an experiment at a computer using an eye-tracker Daphna Heller, Kelly-Ann Blake Participant running an experiment placing an object onto a shelf.

If you are interested in working in the lab for your MA or PhD, click here to learn more about the psycholinguistics community at the University of Toronto, and here to learn about graduate programs in Linguistics. You are also welcome to email Dr. Heller.

If you are an undergraduate student at U of T interested in linguistics, psychology or cognitive science, you may wish to consider getting involved with research in the lab. There are two primary ways to get involved:

Coursework. Depending on your background and year of study, you can sign up for a research-based course.

Work opportunities. The lab usually employs one or two undergraduate students as paid research assistants. Our experimental participants engage in games, and we either record their eye movements to examine their comprehension or record their speech to examine language production (or both). The population we test is adults, and we so we usually test U of T students on campus. Many studies test English speakers, but some studies target other languages as well. Research assistants prepare auditory stimuli for experiments (e.g., using Praat), prepare visual stimuli for experiment (e.g., using Photoshop), test adult participants, transcribe conversations and code a variety of data. Sometimes paid positions are available as part of the Work-Study program.